Literature as fiction

As we already know, Culler had defined literature from several angles. From these angles, my favorite and the one I find more interesting and useful is the fiction angle. When reading this section of the chapter, I reminded a phrase I have heard a long time ago. “BE LIKE AN OPEN ENDING AS FICTION LITERATURE CAN BE.”  As Culler says, “The context of fiction, though, explicitly leaves open the question of what the fiction is really about” (32). An “open ending, an open question.” It means that as readers or viewers we have the choice to decide what is the context of fiction literature about, through our interpretation. What I like the most about literature as fiction is that it works differently for everybody. Explaining it better, we can read the same fiction story, novel, or watch a fiction movie, and it can impact us in a very different way, depending on different factors. For instance, we can interpreter something based on how we are feeling, and it doesn’t mean we are wrong, we just have a different interpretation or a different way to see it. The open ending also means that there is not a specific final, thus, giving us the choice to create our final.

2 thoughts on “Literature as fiction

1. Shumin Ma

I agree with you that there is no right or wrong answer to interpret literature works. It’s like different people have different opinions on a social topic. It’s same for literature works.