Blog post #1

I read chapter 2 (what is literature and does it matter?) by Jonathan Culler. I fully believe that literature is the development of thoughts.  I found in the chapter called literary texts which are narrative, or telling a story, and include details of fiction. Some good examples of literary texts include novels, short stories, and poetry but non-literary texts are texts whose purpose is to send information and do not have the same story. Reading a literary text includes searching for ideas, metaphors but reading and analyzing a non-literary text is very different. Analyzing a non-literary text requires knowing the facts, and developing abilities. This kind of literature reviews our minds because we get information & knowledge from it. Cullen mentions, “We can think of literary works as a language with particular properties or features, and we can think of literature as the product of conventions and a certain kind of attention. I believe Cullen discusses that without literature, we might lose much of the culture. We could’ve lost history and linguistic knowledge and piece of writing, fiction, or nonfiction, and with it, give us a look into the writer’s thought. Such as I heard many times Martin Luther said “I have a dream” speech, which has become milestones in history, and though not exactly written works, but it is important to be called literature. We must learn both literature and non-literary text because it helps to analyze when to use and in fact, it improves our language skills and our vocabulary. Furthermore, it helps us better understand our ability to express ourselves to the world.

A question that stayed with me as I read this chapter was “Are there qualities shared by poems, plays, and novels that distinguish them from, say, songs, transcriptions of conversations, and autobiographies?”

2 thoughts on “Blog post #1