Blog Post #5

I tried to write a few plays because of my major. I think the biggest difficulty in making a story is to create contradictions or conflicts in the story. When I saw that the stories I had written before had some problems, especially the conflicts in the stories. The most fascinating part of a story is the problems that arise in the story. Because there is a problem in the story, both the reader and the character will think something. How to deal with this problem? Or who is going to deal with this problem? It is easy to establish the plot of a story and the emotions of the characters in the story. But it is also the most difficult part of writing. Writers with little creative experience, like myself, often describe the problems that arise in a story as very large or without obvious twists and turns. Overstating the problems that arise in the story will make the story impractical, because the character will break away from the original story while someone is dealing with the problems. The conflict in the story is not described, leaving the reader bored.

Culler explains in the “What stories do” section, that narrative is used to :

1. People have a desire for cognition. They are curious about the unknown things and eager to find out the truth so as to satisfy their desire.
  2. Stories are created by imitating real life.Twisting real life plots gives people a sense of pleasure.
  3. Stories bring people knowledge to know the world. The author describes the world in a story because the author has unique skills to observe the world, and readers learn to understand the world from more angles through reading.