Blog Post ## 4

When I read the chapter 5 of Rhetoric, Poetics, and Poetry by Culler, Culler explained that in poem there are four master troops where metal is used especially metonymy, metaphor, synecdoche, and irony. Metaphor compares to something, I think it is the most important strategy of poems and modern words. It can easily convince readers to share more effective information. In the poem of “The sea to history”, Derek Walcott uses here metaphor was a lot of things in the poem, he compares “the sea to history”, the whole poem ends with their belief in the ransom price of their freedom. It is difficult to understand that what he want without the background of culture and religion, but it can be felt by the most basic knowledge of the audience. Also, this method means and the poem spread the word of readers.

1 thought on “Blog Post ## 4

1. Avinash Mudwari

I like the way you explained what metaphor is. It is used in poetry when someone wants to add any value to his/her language in which makes us a little confused. But when we keep reading the poem more than once, it effectively helps us to find what the story is about and why the writer is representing the theme.