Blog Post #3 Language, Meaning, Interpretation.

Based on the article written by Jonathan Culler which is “Language, Meaning. Interpretation”. Culler sited several pointers on how to define the meaning of language. In my opinion, language has various disciplines, meaning of the word, the use of words and utterances, differences, and contrast in some situations. Meanwhile study, reveals that there are at least three different dimensions or levels of meaning: The meaning word, of an utterance, and of a text. The meaning of the words contributes to the meaning of an utterance which is an act by a speaker. Finally, the text which here represents, an unknown speaker making difficult utterances its potential to affect readers the general meaning is based on the difference. 

The one that struck me the most is the Saussure theory of language which says, a language is a system of differences. What makes each element of a language what it is, what gives its identity, is the contrast between it and other elements within the system of the language as sited in an analogy. Here, it didn’t emphasize the physical features of the train but instead focus on the difference in the time schedule of arrivals and departures from the different points of origin and destinations.

I am therefore enlightened by the author’s definition of language. “Each language is a system of concepts as well as forms: a system of conventional signs that organizes the world. (Culler.59). Likewise, I believe it will be a great help for me as I venture with my studies regarding literature.