Blog Post 3

In chapter 4 Language meaning and interpretation, I learned that meaning can be understood by the author’s intention, the text itself and the content or the reader. The most interesting part of this chapter for me is language and thought. I found this section very interesting because like Culler says “language offers ways of expressing pre-existing thoughts” I relate to this statement because my first language is spanish, I was taught spanish at home from my parents then learned english in school. As a person whos first language was spanish I mostly have thoughts in spanish first. Culler also mentions that “speakers and readers can be brought to see through and around the settings of their language, so as to see a different reality” I agree with this statement because with different languages we can learn other’s cultures and see things different then what we are used to, it makes it more interesting to read.

1 thought on “Blog Post 3

1. Ritika Juneja

I liked the piece of evidence you used for your reasoning and the way you explained it. Also I agree with you about having thoughts in our native language before any other language.