Blog Post #2

I found Culler defining “literature” from the angle of it being an intertextual or a self-reflexive construct to be the most interesting. “Recent theorists have argued that works are made out of other works: made possible by prior works which they take up, repeat, challenge, transform.”(pg34) It seems obvious once said aloud; and certainly with respect to a purely educational piece, say an Emergency Medical Technician textbook, that most assuredly must be updated regularly. But Culler is specifically referring to “literary” works here.

What makes a poem a poem? Any poem worth its salt is something more than a mere collection of pretty words. Poems contain “figures of speech”, a distinctive tone, and they very often rhyme. They certainly say things in a more enticing manner than had they just said them plainly, in a more casual or informative way. And we know this only due to the countless poems that came before to inform us on what makes a poem. But the bumper stickers’ explanation is what really intrigued me.

In fact, I caught myself explaining it to a friend in a very similar manner to how Culler explains it here. “Nuke a Whale for Jesus!”(pg35) is a hilarious play on a combination of previous bumper stickers. However, if “No Nukes”, “Save the Whales”, and “Jesus Saves” had not existed, “Nuke a Whale for Jesus” would be utter, possibly insulting, nonsense on the back of someone’s car. Rather than the funny jab at bumper stickers, in general, that it serves to be.