Blog post #1

1.After reading chapter 2 in “What is literature, and does it matter?” by Jonathan Culler, I believe the important part is about the method we use to define literature. We can do this by providing examples about works that may not be literatures. Furthermore, it tells us how this connects to speeches, sermons, history, philosophy, poem, and story. In the first ten pages of the second chapter of the book Literary Theory,” Culler give us examples of poems and stories like Shakespeare’s Hamlet and the ‘My Love is like a red, red rose’ by Robert Bruns. In this paragraph, Culler details how theorists explore the different interpretations between different literary works. In poems they use rhymes, but also tell stories about their feelings and emotions to share with the person who is reading it while the novel is plotted to a story that keeps you captivated. Even though it is hard to tell what is the difference with what is literature and non-literature, it is better to get an understanding with both. However, at the end of the day, certain literary works have continued to influence the way we live our lives.

2.After reading this chapter, the question reverberates throughout my head is “what is the importance between literary and non-literary for human life?” I would like to understand this better, is it that maybe we, as individuals, interpret literary works and non literary works in different manners.