What is literature and does it matter ? Blog Post

After reading “What is literature and does it matter? written by Jonathan Culler in my point of view the most important aspect is that “literature comes in all shapes and sizes and most of them seem to have more in common with works that aren’t usually called literature than they do with some other works recognized as literature (p 21)”. As discussed in the chapter the author mentioned that literature maybe a poem, play, or narrative. The way that they are written differs from each other. To name some are poems and sonnets are written on shorter lines while narratives are longer. Some articles are written more interesting because the authors used different devices such as figures of speech such as simile, metaphor, hyperbole and etc..There are two characteristics that could lead to identifying first, the theory itself which intermingles with the different fields of learning. Second, we can say that all text is somewhat not equal some text is created more powerful and intense while some are soft and weak. The importance of thinking about the definition of literature plays a huge part in understanding the components of the literature. Moreover, it is an undertaking of the writers and the readers that require knowledge, deeper understanding, and skills in carrying out their tasks.

The question that stayed with me while reading this article is that Does literature play a significant role in identifying a particular generation? 

1 thought on “What is literature and does it matter ? Blog Post

1. Jonah Charles

Nice post! Very well written and I can tell you understood what you read in the text. I also like your follow up question at the end – its not a question I would’ve asked but its a very interesting one