Newsletter Week 11

Hi all, 

As I was grading the last blog post assignment, I noticed many of you are behind in the work for Benito Cereno. This has been a trying semester, and it has likely gotten more challenging for you as the coronavirus numbers creep up and New York has faced and continues to face more cancelations and closures, most notably the closure of public schools.

You can finish the course despite these challenges, and as we enter the end of the semester, I want to make the workload lighter to help you do this. 

In the final weeks of the semester, I would like you to focus on three areas:

1. Finishing any incomplete work.
  2. Revising one of your papers (either the one on poetry or the one on Benito Cereno) for a better grade.
  3. Writing the final paper. This assignment has been drastically shortened (to 500 words) and gives you the choice between writing about A Raisin in the Sun or reflecting on the annotations you’ve already done for the poems and Benito Cereno. This means that if you are behind and struggling to begin A Raisin in the Sun you do not have to read it. It also means you don’t have to do blog post #7. If you do that assignment it will be factored into your grade as bonus points. 

Finally, I would like to schedule a meeting with each of you individually. Please go to this Google Doc and sign up for one 15-minute time slot. (If you cannot find a time to fit your schedule please email me and we can work something out.)