Blog Post #4

In Chapter 5 of “Rhetoric, poetics, and poetry” by Johnathan Culler, Author describes the difference between poetry and rhetoric and the relationship between them. Metaphor, as one of the more interesting techniques, is to deceptively convey information to the reader when comparing something with other things. Although they are common in literature, readers need more knowledge to make associations and connect with words in the text.

I tried to find them in the poem, but someone like “the Song of Solomon” and “I crawl like an insect down the ladder” is c onfuse me. I find “the thing I came for: the wreck and not the story of the wreck the thing itself and not the myth” in “Diving into the Wreck” by Adrienne Rich is easy one, I thought “story of the wreck” and “myth” means when we look back on history, someone will record the events, who may be a historian or a poet. However, this is the process in their eyes rather than the reality that we can see and touch. Author try to lead us build up a system in order to doubt and verify.