Blog #4

In the chapter 5, Cullar states the usage of rhetoric on literacy and some different kinds of rhetorical figures. The four master tropes are metaphor, metonymy, synecdoche, irony. I think writers use rhetorical figures in their work, which can express their thoughts profoundly. The metaphor don’t express original meaning, it treats something as something else. I think the aim of metaphor is to grab readers’ attention, then the readers want to know why the author use a metaphor and what the author express. Cullar writes “my love is rose” in this chapter, this is a metaphor. The use of the rose to mean “love” can indicate that someone’s love is so precious. Derek Walcott uses a metaphor in the first part of “The sea is history”, “Where are your monuments, your battles, martyrs? Where is your tribal memory? Sirs, in that grey vault. The sea. The sea has locked them up. The sea is History.” Derek expresses that the tribal history is not existing,  and it may not record. All monuments, battles and martyrs have disappeared, but the sea is not. The sea is always seen, then the sea is history.