A raisin in the Sun

In the play” A raisin in the sun” by Hansberry, the black family displays their stories of value about life, money and identity in society as a certain social class. In fact, these are sharp problems of value for all humans in any society. As a colored immigrant, I have met many problems similar to those in the play. I think this play is an epitome of the most common ongoing problems that occur in the real life. Walter tends to money as values, his mother and wife choose family and love. Walter’s sister Beneatha has her own idea of identity. In this play, I like Beneatha’s thought, I work in a multi-color people environment, there is a coworker from my country. However, he doesn’t like talking to me in our mother language, on contrary, he likes to be with white people, he tries to talk to Americans with his clumsy English all the time. He hates to be recognized as my race people. I respect him, I stop talking to him, but I wonder that even though he tries his best to assimilate himself into whites he is still distinguished as non-white visibly by his yellow face. Submerging in whites doesn’t mean acquiring the same social status as whites. I believe that showing the competence of desired social status with your own heritage, culture and characteristics is dignity. The play makes people ponder over their values which way is the right way to choose when people encounter such intersections.