Literature as an aesthetic object

Jonathan Culler discusses five aspects of the nature of literature in this chapter, in my opinion, the most interesting and useful nature of literature is “Literature as aesthetic object”. Before it learned about literature from this book, I naturally thought that if a text made me feel beautiful and appreciate it should be literature. I think the most important function of literature is that literature makes more effects by using language in a special way. In this way which makes plain languages more beautiful and artistic, a text can capture more appreciation and enjoyable feelings from readers, as a result, it can affect more and make more impressions on readers than non-literature works. Like Jonathan Culler mentions in the chapter, some politicians use a literary way to propagandize political purpose because they want to convince the public as much as possible and they know the literary way can produce more effects on audiences to get them agreed. Any food has a function of refilling energy. However, a fully seasoned cooked food compared to boiling noodles is an artwork like literature and non-literature. Of course, a fully seasoned cooked food is more delicious and appreciated, so literature as an aesthetic object is a higher level of human civilization.

4 thoughts on “Literature as an aesthetic object