Blog Post #2

After I read Chapter II “ What is Literature and Does It Matter ?” by Jonathan Culler. In my opinion, I think literary texts seem to create an open mind for the reader. By definition, literary writers create art that uses language as the medium to express writers’ emotions and satisfy readers’ emotional needs. In other words, a literary work is not a simple thing, but an extremely complex combination interwoven with multiple meanings and relationships. Poems, essays, novels, and plays are common forms. As Culler claimed, ” the fictionality of literature separates language from other contexts in which it might be used and leaves the work’s relation to the world open to interpretation.” Therefore literature is not describing specific things or events, it leaves room for people to imagine, think deeply, and relate the content with their own understandings. In my opinion, the charm of literature lies in the individual expression of text structure, which can help readers to understand and adopt language media without practical purpose and virtuality. Readers can draw on and develop their own comprehension and summary, which I think will make one’s writing more colorful and interesting.