Prompt 1

After reading the chapter 2, What is literature and does it matter? Jonathan Culler define literature in various ways. He says literature isn’t as it were the composed word, but it has a certain quality which makes it interesting and worthy of consideration. I think the most important aspect of this section of the chapter is that literature may have a few qualities that separate it from a personal history or any life situations for instance. It is important for thinking about the definitions of literature. I believe literature is a form of human expression. Culler believes that history has molded the definition in such a way that it applies to more shapes of writing than the fair story. Literature has its own ability to build on itself. He is also trying to inform us that the literature could be a discourse act or any textual occasion that obtain certain sorts of consideration. It is able to bring almost distinctive feelings and reflects human nature to learn a way to relate each other. So, Literature helps us to understand the detail of human experiences and to connect desires and emotion in a different way.

As I read this chapter I am stayed with one question that ” How does a set of texts that cultural arbiters recognize as belonging to literature.?