Blog post 5

After reading chapter 6 I got a better understanding of what makes a story. Based on the narrative stories are the main way we makes sense of things. Culler says “that good stories must have a beginning, middle and end, and that they give pleasure because of the rhythem of their ordering.” One example i can give is from one of my favorite movies The Notebook.The movie focuses on an old man reading a story to an old woman in a nursing home. The story he reads follows two young lovers named Allie Hamilton and Noah Calhoun, who meet one evening at a carnival. But they are separated by Allie’s parents who disapprove of Noah’s unwealthy family, and move Allie away. After being seperated for 7 years when noah returns home from the army, it becomes clear that their romance was never over. From the beginning to end you feel and imagine what Noah and Allie go through and that’s what makes a great story.

In “what stories do” section culler explains that stories teach you about the world and also give the reader pleasure. I agree with him because i am person who loves to read a good story that can teach me something new about the world.