blog post #4

In chapter five, Jonathan Culler uses one word to refer to another to express the rhetorical devices of poetry. I think this chapter is interesting compared with other chapters. In my opinion, rhetoric as a language or literary technique is very attractive. For example, if we read an article, if the whole article is to narrate the facts and the process, we will only feel a lot of boring facts and data without emotion. The article needs to be decorated to make the readers interested, which can quickly attract the attention of the readers and have the motivation to read. In my personal opinion, I think some special rhetorical skills can make a thing more vivid, and it can break the limitations of the rigid description. Therefore, I think a successful article or poem can make people feel the flexibility of words. The author hopes to arouse the reader’s emotional resonance. In this chapter, the author puts forward the writing technique of metaphor, which is used by many poems to express a special signal of emotion or situation. I think this technique can be used more in writing, which will make our articles more hierarchical.

3 thoughts on “blog post #4

1. Jinde Piao

I totally agree with you. The way of rhetoric can really improve the artistic attainments of poetry. So that readers can understand the author’s feelings.

2. Qipu Li

I agree with you. The aim of author uses rhetoric in article is to grab readers’ attention, and readers will be interested in it. They want to know why author uses it. This is a kind of method to make articles more attractive .

3. Ritika Juneja

I agree with you about using rhetoric can help make a reading interesting and grab attention towards audience. I liked that a reading that is only based on facts such as articles can be really boring and by adding rhetoric can help decorate and make the reading interesting.