Rhetoric, Chaper5

One of the techniques that culler has described in chapter 5 about rhetoric that I find most interesting is the metaphor. As culler discussed, “A metaphor treats something as something else.” Trough metaphors, we have the opportunity to describe something by comparing it with “similar things” and make the text more intriguing and more interesting. Sometimes, it can be hard to understand a metaphor, but that is also one of the things that make us be a critical thinker and exercise our brains. Another thing I also like is that metaphor is related to the language and imagination as culler says. That is to say, the metaphor is also based on the understanding and learning of something. I see metaphor I both poems, “The sea is history” and “Diving into the wreck.” Derek Walcott used metaphor multiple times in his poem, The Sea is History. For instance, “The sea is history.” He is making a comparison. History means past, and in this context, the sea contains the tribal memory and other things he is talking about in the previous line. As the sea contains these things that are part of history, the sea itself become history. Adrienne Rich also used metaphor when she said, “The words are purposes.” “The words are maps,” meaning that words are no just “letters.” Words are everywhere, and behind them, there are meanings and objectives to meet.